In 1866, Moses Dickson joined the African Methodist Episcopal Church in St. Louis, became an ordained minister and was the driving force for AME churches in Missouri, including Chillicothe in 1868. Chillicothe had the first AME Church north of the Missouri River. The Chillicothe church, located at 202 Henry Street, was active until 2010, when it closed due to declining membership. The church is now owned by a private individual who plans to donate it to the Grand River Historical Society Museum. The museum will relocate the building to property near the museum and preserve its history.