University of Missouri Extension is research based information that is relevant, reliable, and responsive to the needs of our clientele. From home finance to nutrition and fitness, to agronomy, farm and business planning, to family dynamics, ...
University of Missouri Extension is research based information that is relevant, reliable, and responsive to the needs of our clientele. From home finance to nutrition and fitness, to agronomy, farm and business planning, to family dynamics, extension has information for you. The purpose of this blog is to inform and educate the community on programs and information that impacts your daily life. Sharing of this information should steer you in the path of increased knowledge and awareness of where to find answers to your questions.
The summer heat and humidity is upon us and as we all know, it brings some issues that we need to address in an effort to keep our homes in good repair and to keep our indoor environment healthy.
Most of us have seen the results of moisture or mold around the home. As you may know, mold is alive and grows on wet or damp surfaces. It is often gray or black, but it can also be white, orange or green. It can grow both out in the open or it may be found in hidden places such as under carpets or in walls and attics. Mold often smells musty. Mildew is a common name for mold.
Mold reproduces by means of tiny spores that are invisible to the naked eye and float through outdoor and indoor air. Mold spores can cause health problems by getting into your lungs. Molds produce allergens, irritants and in some cases, potentially toxic substances. Inhaling or touching mold or mold spores may cause allergic reactions in sensitive individuals. Allergic reactions to mold are common and can be immediate or delayed. It can also trigger asthma attacks. Health reactions to mold can be severe in some people.
The key to mold control is moisture control. If mold is a problem in your home, you should clean up the mold promptly and fix the water problem. Sometimes, locating the source of moisture can be a challenge. Typical places that water can seep into your house from the outside is through the foundation or small gaps around windows and doors. It can also come from inside your house from a leaking water pipe, toilet, shower or bathtub. It is important to dry water-damaged areas and items within 24-48 hours to prevent mold growth. High indoor humidity caused by normal activities of everyday living such as showering, cooking and drying clothes can result in mold, mildew or musty odors. Indoor humidity levels between 30% and 50% are ideal.
Measures that you can take to reduce indoor humidity include the following: