After three months of refurbishment, St. Columban Church is wrapping up the project.
After three months of refurbishment, St. Columban Church is wrapping up the project. During that time, they have been holding services in the gym at Bishop Hogan, but on August 5, they will present the fresh new work with the first service back at the Church building. See Photo Gallery According to Father Ben Kneib, most of the repairs needed to the building were due to water damage in the roof and walls of the Church. Four years ago, the roof was replaced and now the damaged plaster walls and paint have been reconditioned. Although the parish was established in 1857, the Church at St. Columban was built in 1879. At the time, the Church was built in the old gothic style, in anticipation that it might become a cathedral, which did not happen. But it does, however, make for a grand canvas for the project, and adds to the historic value of the building. About 20 years after it was built, additions were made, which included the current alter and two side entrances. That alter has very detailed wood work including a symbol for the Franciscan Order of priests, which Father John Hogan was a member. That symbol and three others are painted to look like medallions, that run around the walls of the alter. The pillars are now made to look like gray marble, two murals have been added to the upper corners behind the main alter and painting were refurbished on the walls of the two side alters. These murals at the main alter are replicas of the originals that were painted over many years ago. The parish now celebrates its 160th anniversary in 2017.