​The Chillicothe Street Department has been cleaning out its storeroom and recently found the plaque for Donnelly Cottage, one of the buildings for the State Industrial Home for Girls.

​The Chillicothe Street Department has been cleaning out its storeroom and recently found the plaque for Donnelly Cottage, one of the buildings for the State Industrial Home for Girls. In 1948-49, under the supervision of Lena Ruddy Smithson, a new cottage was built called Donnelly, named after the governor of Missouri, Phil Donnelly. ​Cottages were often dedicated with a plaque showing current board members and other relevant information. The State Industrial Home for Girls was established in Chillicothe in 1877 as a place to reform troubled girls and was located on west Third Street. In the early 1980s it became a women’s prison. The complex was torn down last year. ​The Chillicothe Street Department donated the plaque to the Grand River Museum. – Kirsten Mouton