A fire destroyed a machine shed and all of its contents overnight Thursday in rural Chillicothe, with initial loss projections estimated to be between $200,000 and $500,000.
A fire destroyed a machine shed and all of its contents overnight Thursday in rural Chillicothe, with initial loss projections estimated to be between $200,000 and $500,000. Shortly after 11 p.m. Thursday, Chillicothe firefighters received a call from dispatch regarding something on fire at 11621 LIV 259. While en route to the scene, firefighters were told that a machine shed full of farming equipment was on fire. Upon arrival, firefighters found the structure fully involved in fire with several pieces of farm equipment inside. Contents included a bulldozer, combine, two tractors, discs, planters, a camper, a grain truck and carts full of grain and other pieces of equipment. The owner, identified as Terry Mammen, stated that he had not used any of the equipment in over a week, according to the fire report. He did state the combine and tractor both still had batteries that were connected. The heaviest burned area and suspected area of ignition was in the area of the combine and tractor. Wheeling Fire and Chula Fire were both called for mutual aid response with water tankers and Chula’s pumper. Due to a mechanical issue with Chillicothe’s pumper, Chula Fire’s pumper was used. The structure and most of the equipment was a total loss. The loss estimate is between $200,000 and $500,000, according to Fire Chief Darrell Wright. The Livingston County Sheriff’s Department was on scene requested the State Fire Marshal to investigate the fire.