Crews respond to a house fire on Walnut Street

At about 1;10 p.m., Wednesday, smoke could be seen quickly filling the air throughout Chillicothe. Fire Chief Darrell Wright, Chillicothe Fire Department said in a press release, that emergency crews were dispatched for a house fire on Walnut Street at about 1:12 p.m.

The fire department arrived to heavy smoke and flames coming from the residence. Wright said as crews began to work the fire they discovered “power lines arcing in the backyard and fire throughout the landscape and fencing.”

The resident told crews he had been home around noon and was contacted by the mail carrier stating there was heavy smoke coming from the home. Fire crews contacted CMU to disconnect power, and the gas to the home was shut-off.

“After the fire was extinguished we spoke with the resident and he stated that he had a game controller charger plugged into an outlet by the couch,” Wright said. Approximately 3500 gallons of water was used to extinguish the fire.

Before crews arrived, Wright said, the homeowner was able to open a door to let a pet out of the home.