Hornets more competitive Friday (Nov. 2, 2018) than in early-season game against Spoofhounds, but still fall well short in 38-7 season-ending district-playoffs game

By PAUL STURM, C-T Sports Editor
MARYVILLE, Mo. — In recognition of the latest standout edition of the Maryville High School football Spoofhounds and in the wake of a 47-0 defeat by MHS early in the regular season, the Chillicothe Hornets had some secondary goals beyond the primary goal of winning for their rematch with the ’Hounds Friday.
Although Chillicothe never threatened to defeat the diminished Spoofhounds, who were without an injured 2017 All-State running back and two other members of their starting offensive backfield for reasons that have not been officially announced by their school, several of the Hornets’ subsidiary targets were hit, including avoiding a shutout.
Working against MHS reserves and the “running clock” in the game’s waning minutes, Chillicothe’s first-string offense moved 91 yards in just under seven minutes to deny Maryville another whitewash in a 38-7 Spoofhounds conquest.
The loss ended CHS’ first season under head coach Tim Rulo and a nearly-completely-new coaching staff with a 4-7 record, marked by a late-season, 3-games winning streak.
Maryville will continue on into the Class 3 District 8 championship game this coming Friday when it will host Savannah, which eliminated Kansas City: St. Pius X 50-10 Friday.

While Chillicothe was never really close after a 25-yards touchdown pass from Tate Oglesby to Deon Metezier made it (with the extra-point kick) 19-0 1:05 into the second quarter, but the final spread of 31 points was a couple of touchdowns less than the early September meeting in which the “running clock” procedure was in use throughout the second half. This time, timekeeping was accelerated only from the middle of the third period until the last half-minute when the Hornets scored to bring the gap back under 35 points.
Not having the “running clock” in use its maximum amount was one “sub-goal” for CHS in the second meeting with its keenest pigskin rival.
Scoring was another and that was accomplished, too – barely, thanks to the late march which was aided by two Maryville penalties, but also included some solid plays by the Hornets.
Starting at their own 8, they converted a third-and-7 with an 11-yards pass to Brad Hayen from Jaden Winder, both juniors.
After earning two more first downs, Winder followed a MHS unsportsmanlike conduct markoff with a 20-yards option keeper around the right edge, moving the ball to the Spoofhounds’ 24 with just under three minutes to go and the clock ticking continuously.
After short run and a pass incompletion, Winder again kept on the option and got around the right side of the offensive formation for another 14 yards to the MHS 7. When the tackler there was whistled for making helmet-to-helmet contact, another few yards were added, giving Chillicothe a first-and-goal at the 4 with about 50 seconds left.
On the next play, a quarterback sneak by the junior signalcaller behind a continuous push by the offensive line allowed Winder to cross the goal line with 40 seconds remaining, eliminating the goose egg the Hornets had had on the scoreboard against Maryville for the first 95-plus minutes of their two 2018 contests.
Jamacin Carr capped the scoring with an extra-point kick, then gave Hornets fans one last reason to cheer when his ground-ball onside kickoff was bobbled by a would-be MHS receiver and Carr himself recovered it with about 25 seconds to go.
The Hornets gained one first down in the remaining time, but did not score again.
A couple of other aims Chillicothe achieved in the game were to avoid the fumbles – especially in their own end of the field – that marked their first contest with Maryville and to stymie the ’Hounds enough defensively to make them punt a couple of times, something they’d rarely or never done during the regular season.
After fumbling the ball away three times in the initial 2018 meeting – twice in their own territory in the first quarter – and also having a bad punt that gave the Spoofhounds a short field that led to another quick score, Chillicothe did not fumble the ball away on this occasion, although it did have one or two times it put the ball on the ground, only to get it back.
The Hornets did throw two interceptions on long passes, but both came on third-down plays and were similar to punts that would have followed on the next play had the passes fallen incomplete.
Chillicothe’s defense also forced two punts. One came in the opening period after a would-be 43-yards touchdown run by fullback Tyler Houchins, who already had bolted 53 yards for the second MHS score, was negated by a holding penalty. The second was when Maryville’s second-string offense stalled out at the CHS 40 – again with a would-be long scoring run erased by a holding flag. It was that punt – disguised as a 58-yards field goal attempt – that rolled dead at the Chillicothe 8, setting up the Hornets for their last touchdown drive of 2018.
Maryville accepted the game’s opening kickoff, which Chillicothe intentionally dribbled only about 15 yards downfield.
Starting from their own 44, the ’Hounds scooted the 56 yards in five plays, converting on a fourth-and-4 with a 9-yards run by Houchin one play before Korbin Koch swept around left end for a 41-yards touchdown dash only 1:25 into the game.
The next MHS possession lasted only one play, but doubled its lead to 12-0 as Houchin burst through the left side of the Chillicothe defense and went 53 yards untouched for a 12-0 lead with 7:18 left in quarter No. 1.
A 1-yard blast off left guard by Houchin, who unofficially rushed for 155 yards, gave the home team a 25-0 lead in the middle of the second quarter and fill-in quarterback Tyler Haer zipped a strike on a left-side slant to a wide-open Oglesby to cap a 6-plays drive with 20 seconds left in the opening half. With three hookups with Oglesby and a 29-yarder with Aiden Cullin, Haer led the Spoofhounds 72 yards to that score in only 68 seconds.
Even with better ball security, Chillicothe never threatened to score until it faced MHS’ backups, in part because only one of its eight possessions started beyond its own 20-yard line. That one exception began at the CHS 30.